2015 Norht Event – 2nd Year Competition – ITMB
*** Competition judging will take place at the ITMB Event on 2nd December 2015***
2nd year Competition
Artificial Intelligence- how real are the movies?
There is an ever growing presence of artificial intelligence (AI) being featured within the film industry, such as I Robot, Chappie, and Interstellar with each holding a different perspective of how this technology will evolve in our world.
What is the realistic state of this technology when it reaches actuality, will it evolve from a baby-like conscious such as “Chappie” or will it live digitally in the internet space learning through our webpages and interacting with us via our phones or ear pieces as featured in “Her”? Or will it simply assist our lives in different tasks such as the robot TARS from Interstellar. TARS is capable of multiple tasks such as calculations, emergency manoeuvres, and even companionship with varying precise percentages of humour and honesty to suit your current mood. Although AI has been a common theme in science fiction for a while, since the 70’s, movies like Blade Runner and The Terminator explore emotions, feelings and humanlike intelligence of robotics.
If you use Apple’s Siri, then you are already one step closer to being dependant on your personal AI assistant. What is next in the real world?
Competition Question: How would you use AI in the business world?
Submit your presentation about using an AI solution to improve a business activity or work life. Your team should pick one technology as the solution.
Your idea should think about how AI solves an existing business problem or improves work life.
1. Explain the problem or activity.
2. What is your solution?
3. How does it resolve the problem or enhance experience?
4. How can it be developed? Explore what is already out there.
Look into the technology and business model taking into account any limitations of the product.
[Implementation] Software students to look into the technologies used, platforms, what’s out there and a high level development plan.
5. How will you market it to your audience? Why should they use it?
6. Is it unique? How does your solution stand against competition?
7. At the 19th November Software Degree Student Event your group will present the idea in front of an employer panel.
? One team per university.
? Register your team by Friday 20th November 2015 via email email@example.com [email to include: University Name, Team Name, all member names and a brief description of your idea]
? Employers will select the winner based on the overall idea, innovation, business considerations, presentation and team work.
Presentation small print:
? Use presentation tools of your choice.
? You will have access to internet and laptop, if you are bringing your own laptop or want to submit a USB please inform us in advance.
? You will have a maximum of 10 minutes to present your idea to the judges on the day. This will be followed by a 5 minute Q&A session.
? For all queries contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent news & useful websites
• Representation of artificial intelligence in cinema
• AI- how to turn Siri into Samantha?
• Facebook has a new AI Assistant
• 5 ways business can use AI today
• Harvard Business Review-AI is almost ready for business
• AI will humanize business
• Forbes- how AI could change your business