2017 North Event: First Year Students
Student Tech Challenge, North Event 2017
First Year Competition
Final competition entries will be presented to an employer panel at the Tech Partnership Student/Employer North Event.
Date: 22nd November 2017
Location: King’s House Conference Centre, Manchester
Time: 10:30-17:00 (your team’s presentation slot will be available on arrival to the event)
Artificial intelligence is everywhere; from voice commands, deciding what flights we book to the diagnosis of diseases, AI is starting to have a huge impact on our daily lives and is here to stay. The progress in AI research and applications in the past 20 years makes it timely to focus attention not only on making AI more capable, but also on maximising the societal benefit of AI. AI is a controversial topic regularly debated and discussed by the world’s more influential tech leaders.
‘How you can you use Artificial Intelligence to tackle some of the world’s greatest challenges?’
Research how AI is changing the world and how you can use it for something positive, something that will change lives for the better. Working within a group, develop a unique idea, explain the problem that you would be tackling and how your idea will transform it. Illustrate how your idea will benefit consumers and businesses alike.
You must showcase your ideas on one large A1 poster and present your ideas as a team at the Tech Partnership Student/Employer North Event on the 22nd November 2017.
Some things to consider…
• The ethical challenges faced by AI- consider how you will tackle questions such as job implications and data safety.
• Make your poster as creative and readable as possible and make it stand out.
• This is a group challenge and you will be awarded on your group work as well as your idea. Ensure everyone in your team has something to say and you can demonstrate that it was a team effort.
Presentation time: 7 mins (you will be stopped if you go over time)
Questions and answers from judges: 3 mins
Immediate judge feedback and reflection: 5 mins
Winners will be announced at the winners showcase at the end of the day.
Winning Team- £500 (plus the Tech Partnership trophy)
2nd Prize runner up team- £300
3rd Prize runner up team- £200
A number of employer sponsored spot prizes may also be awarded for impressive individuals.
Register your team
To compete in this competition, you must be a fully registered team. Instructions for entering a team:
1. Get your teams together- we recommend no more than 6-8 participants and a minimum of 2 participants (see the small print for full team instructions)
2. Produce a large A1 poster illustrating your ideas- make it as creative and visual as possible
3. Simply register your team to email@example.com by 12pm FRIDAY 10th NOVEMBER at the latest with the following information; names of all participants, your university and a preferred lead email address, should we need to get in touch with your group. Note- we do not need your competition idea before the day.
The Small Print (please read)
- One team per university is permitted for year group cohorts under 40 students. Year groups with 40+ students can submit two teams and cohorts with 80+ can submit 3 teams maximum. If you are unsure, ask your course leader or email us. It is recommended that you choose your final team to represent your university on the day of the event by having ‘knock out rounds’ before the event. The Tech Partnership team can assist with this at your university. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to arrange competition knock-out rounds at your university.
- If your university offers both the ITMB and Software Development for Business degrees, you may submit a team from each course. The teams from different courses may get judged by a separate panel of employers if we receive more than 3 teams in total.
- IMPORTANT: Any teams that do not register before the day cannot be added to the schedule on the day of the event so ensure you let us know you are submitting a team beforehand.
- If you have registered but can no longer take part, you must let us know before the day- this is important because it can disturb the very tight schedule.